Today got off to a slow start. To be honest-I’ve been in a bit of a funk the past few days. And for no apparent reason. Don’t you just hate that!? Just feeling funky. Today I wanted to wake up right and shake off the funk. And so far-so good.
I’m happy to report that on this hump day afternoon and I’m feeling a lot less funky. And with that I thought I’d share a few of my GET OUT OF A FUNK tips and tricks that I have learned over the years.
- SPEAK LIFE. That’s right. Speak life and love over yourself and believe it. For some it may be scripture verses. For others positive affirmations. Write some inspirational quotes on sticky notes and stick them to your bathroom mirror or on your laptop. Do yourself a favor and watch this video and see what I mean. This little girl has the right idea.
- DRINK A LOT OF WATER. For some people this is second nature. For others-not so much. For me- I have my good days and my bad days. Sometimes I realize I feel crappy and then realize I haven’t been drinking enough water. I don’t care if you have to set a timer and stand over the sink and drink it like medicine. Just do it. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. I’m talking WAY MORE THAN YOU THINK. Just keep drinking.
- PRAY. MEDITATE. REST. I have a chair in my office that I go to every morning. Its become a ritual for me and I love it. I grab a nice cup of coffee and I go. Some mornings I only have time for a quick 5 minute mediation [I have an app for that! I am currently using Simple Habit. And I love it!.] Other times- I spend more time. I’ve got all my stuff there. My bible, my books, my favorite blanket. Colored pens and pencils. My journal. My laptop. I pray. I read. I mediate. I write lists. I set my intention for the day. Sometimes I flip on the TV and watch something I’ve missed like Super Soul Sunday or Fixer-upper if I have time. And there are times when I actually will take a nap. Never underestimate the power of a quick nap.
- MAKE THE BED. AND OR ORGANIZE SOMETHING. When I make the bed the day just goes better. That’s it. Simple. When I don’t make it-it almost bugs me all day in the corner of my mind. Maybe I need to see someone about this, who knows. Just keeping it real. I feel better when the bed is made and when really…the house is tidy. I’m not talking perfection here people-TRUST ME. I’m just talking tidy. AND even better…Take some time and organize something. Maybe your underwear drawer. Maybe your make-up drawer or your closet. Whatever it is-finding a little bit of “control” and order helps me de-funk.
- GET CUTE. One time I was on the phone with a good friend whining about God only knows what and she finally interrupted me and said, “Do you look cute?” My answer was…UH NO. REALLY!? She told me…”take a shower and shave and the whole bit. Do your hair and not just in a pony-tail. Blow dry it. AND do your makeup. Get dressed cute. Like at least going to the movies cute. And don’t forget perfume. When your done, call me back. Love you”- and she hung up. Guess what? I stopped my whining and tried it. When I called her back we had a good laugh. No my problems were still right where I had left them. Unsolved. But I felt better and I looked a lot better. Feeling better and looking better is a really good place to start.
So there you have it. For today. I have a lot more where that came from but I’ve gotta run. The little will be home from school soon and I thought I would try and tackle my make-up drawer. I noticed it was not only a huge mess but that my make up brushes are looking pretty gross too and they could use a little love. Stay Tuned.